LINWOOD, St Cornelius.
Our October 2014 visit was to the Church of St Cornelius, Linwood, which dates from the twelfth century
At the west end of the south aisle is a battered C17 chest. At the west end of the north aisle are 2 fine early C15 brasses. On the north is a merchant, John Lyndewode, d.1421, with his feet resting on a woolsack on which is his woolmark. On the south is a merchant and his wife, John and Alice Lynwode, d.1419, with beneath a panel containing 7 figures under cusped arcades. Below this is the inscription recording the deceased. All 3 have elaborately cusped ogee canopies. Between the 2 brasses is an abraded slab with a Lombardic inscription and probably the matrix for a now vanished brass. In the chancel is a restrained brass plate to Rev. Humphrey Henchman, B.A., d.1785. JRK
Back to Past Visits Main Page.