St Andrew, APLEY, St Edward the Confessor, BARLINGS and St Hugh, LANGWORTH
Our first church for our November meeting was Apley St Andrew which is believed to be the smallest such building in Lincolnshire still in use. We were greeted by Rita and her husband with a hot drink and biscuits. We were very impressed with the way in which the church is maintained. The font here was particularly interesting being one of a small number of miniature replicas of that in St Mary Magdalene church Oxford.
We then moved on to St Edward’s parish church Barlings and found a building of contrasting styles with fragments of Norman, medieval rebuilt in 1876. A rather strange looking building!
Our final church was St Hugh’s Langworth. By the early 1960s it was felt that the small corrugated iron Mission Church should be replaced and in 1960-2 much of the chapel from Walmsgate Hall, Louth was rebuilt here. The chapel had been built in 1901 as a memorial to the son of Thomas Yorke Dallas-Yorke. The plan of the chapel was retained but lengthened by one bay. The memorial plaque over the entrance to the chancel has a relief of the young man as a soldier. There is much of interest here and the church is well worth a visit.
Back to Past Visits Main Page.